Job Title: Operations / Store Manager
Division: Appalachian Outfitters
Reports To: Company Owner(s)
FLSA Status: Exempt
Summary: Oversees day to day operation of the store(s) and climbing gym. Responsible for staff hiring, development, and coaching. Ensures that customers have an exceptional shopping experience by performing the following duties.
Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Oversees the day to day operation of the store(s) and climbing gym.
- Works with the floor managers and key holders to ensures that the store, gym, and all public areas are kept neat and clean.
- Works with floor management staff to prepare weekly updates reports regarding warranties, special orders, out of stock items, personnel issues, marketing plans, and store events.
- Prepares employee schedules, tracks attendance and days off.
- Ensures necessary register change is on hand.
- Purchases facility supplies as required.
- Works with floor managers to schedule staff clinics with sales representatives.
- Suggests employee development programs.
- Verifies that all store and gym opening and closing list items are preformed properly each morning and night.
- Obtains estimates or, scheduling service calls for HVAC, trash service, snowplowing, and other facility maintenance items.
- Prepares recommendations for company ownership.
- Works with floor managers to monitor that stock items are properly rotated and priced, expiration dates are checked.
- Verifies all returns and warranties fall within policies. Makes sure all warranties are handled expediently and that customers are kept up to date on the status of their warranty claim.
- Keeps staff aware of active promotions, discounts.
- Works with the owners and merchandiser to showcase product, determine window themes, and present and appealing floor set up to customers.
- Verifies that the store is prepared in advance of any events, programs, classes, and sales.
- Verifies that proper gym staffing is in place for groups.
- Verifies daily that all gym guest deposits are properly recorded, and group scheduling calendar is updated.
- Helps develop promotional programs to attract clubs and groups.
- Verifies that all climbing gym scheduled safety inspections are completed and recorded on time.
- Schedules gym maintenance as necessary to maintain gym safety.
- Conducts interviews, hires, trains, and mentors new hires.
- Coaches and disciplines employees and maintains detailed and accurate disciplinary records.
- Handles terminations when necessary in association with the owners.
- Conducts 90-day new hire reviews, annual reviews, and development plan reviews.
Manages up to four subordinate supervisors who supervise a total of up to 25 employees in the store(s) and climbing gym. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of these units. Also directly supervises up to 25 employees (non-supervisory). Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization's policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance; rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume. Ability to apply concepts of basic algebra and geometry.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of word processing software, spreadsheet software, payroll systems, internet software, human resource systems, and Microsoft Outlook.
Associate degree (A. A. / A. S.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; and two to four years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Knowledge, Skills, and Other Abilities:
- Ability to work with customers and vendors under a variety of circumstances to resolves issues while maintaining a positive attitude
- Ability to motivate subordinates and clearly explain company expectations and goals
- Ability to discipline subordinates in a respectful constructive manner to prevent minor behavior issues from escalation
- Comfortable with all aspects of running multiple facilities on a day to day basis
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, use hands, reach with hands and arms, and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit, and stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to climb or balance. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, ability to adjust focus, and ability to see color.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to outdoor weather conditions.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Women and minorities are highly encouraged to apply.
Job Type: Full-time
All new hires are required to be vaccinated prior to their start date. Employees must wear masks if requested by customers.